Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Sons - Taken by Trees / My Girls - Animal Collective

I first encountered Animal Collective as a junior in college, and my initial reaction was not positive. It was their album Sung Tongs, and as the first song began playing, I thought, "What is this nonsense? Why the high rating on Metacritic?"

Fast forward 3 years later, when I was meeting my new roommate. In our first conversation, he told me that he was a musician. I love music, I replied, and asked what music he liked listening to. My all-time favorite band is Animal Collective, he said.

Oh. They're ok, I guess. 

He looked me in the eye and said they were the best band. And then he played Fireworks for me. 

That was when I became a convert.

Today's cover is the Taken by Trees version of "My Girls" by Animal Collective. 



There isn't much that I feel I need
A solid soul and the blood I bleed
With a little girl, and by my spouse
I only want a proper house

I don't care for fancy things
Or to take part in the vicious race
But to provide for mine who ask
I will, with heart, on my father's grave

I don't mean to seem like I care about material things
Like our social status
I just want four walls and adobe slats for my girls









No comments:

Post a Comment