Friday, April 8, 2011

Procrastination

I read the New Yorker when I brush my teeth. I was reading a section about Barry Michels, a Jungian therapist who works with writers in the entertainment industry. I initially thought this quote was indecipherable. But after some thought, I'm going to try it when I start wasting time.
He gives procrastinators a tool he calls the Arbitrary Use of Time Moment, which asks them to sit in front of their computers for a fixed amount of time each day. “You say, ‘I’m surrendering myself to the archetypal Father, Chronos,’ ” he says. ‘I’m surrendering to him because he has hegemony over me.’ That submission activates something inside someone. In the simplest terms, it gets people to get their ass in the chair.” For the truly unproductive, he sets the initial period at ten minutes—“an amount of time it would sort of embarrass them not to be able to do.”
Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/03/21/110321fa_fact_goodyear#ixzz1IuAySNGP

No comments:

Post a Comment